The Front Room Gallery gives artists an avenue to the public and the public access to art. The Front Room Gallery’s mission is to support artists in our community, bring art into our lives in unexpected ways, and create community involvement in the arts.
Front Room Gallery is on the second floor of the Bayview Cash Store at Bayview corner on Whidbey Island in Washington, U.S.A. This historic building has been a community gathering space since early 1900’s and it continues to ignite the hearts and minds of locals and visitors alike. Neighboring the gallery are delicious cafe’s, bars, and restaurants. Visit the Bayview garden store and during the warmer months the Bayview farmers market. Come hear music, or play a game of giant chess. Plan to stop in and stay a while.
The first Bayview Cash Store was built in 1908 by Adolf Meier ( aka Ernie Meyers) and stocked basic groceries for settlers, and animal feed and grain. From the late 1890’s through 1915, the hub of Bayview activity was a small wharf at the outfall of Lone Lake. Shallow-draft boats traveled to Useless Bay and up the Slough to discharge and receive people and merchandise at the wharf.
The Cash Store was located just north of the dock. In 1916 the store at the wharf burned down and for the next eight years, the community lacked a mercantile.
In 1924 William Burke constructed a new Bayview Cash Store.
In 1910, William and his brother John arrived in the Pacific North West, from Arkansas. After working at a mill in Seattle, they moved to Bayview and purchased the Lone Lake Mill. Lumber from this mill was used to construct houses and other buildings at Bayview. After the mill burned down in 1914. Burk (changed to Burke) stayed in Bayview and built a new cash store 10 years later. He strategically located the store at the corner where Langley – Clinton road met the road that heads up the island. His store soon formed the social and geographical center of not only Bayview but also South Whidbey. Anyone going up island from Clinton or Langley had to pass through the crossroads at Bayview Corner.
Inside Cash Store (date unknown)
Judy Johnson (Harold’s daughter), Carrie Melendy (employee), Harold and Betty Johnson, Ron Johnson (son), and Hazel Watkins (employee)
In 1999 Goosefoot purchased the Cash Store and spent 2 years doing initial remodeling work with the final construction being completed in 2004.
In 2002 Goosefoot purchased a 150,000-gallon redwood water tank owned and used by the city of Langley since 1969. Goosefoot dismantled the tank, reworked the iron bands, and milled the redwood for use throughout Bayview Corner.